Monday, January 24, 1994

Wednesday January 24

I went over to the Tourist information center, which has tons of information in English. I picked up a bunch of brochures for the Wakayama/Nara/Kyoto area. I think I will go to Kyoto for a few days in February to scope things out, maybe meet a few people there.

I also went back to Tokyu Hands to pick up some wood to carve, hopefully in preparation for lacquering. I miss fiddling with something but then I don't have any tools to use either. I hope to go to the tool place that Onishi sensei recommended.

Well I went to see another shakuhachi concert by a colleague of Chris's, Ralph Samuelson. He wasn't as good as Chris, I thought, and the songs were too much the same. Also some of those high notes are really piercing and hurts my ears. However there was one number where he had a contemporary dancer moving to his song, and she was really good. She was dressed really simply with and danced with a red fan. Very expressive hands and movements, and her face was very strong.