Wednesday, January 19, 1994

Friday,January 19

What an exciting day! It started out sort of sluggish, I had trouble waking up. The futon is too thin and the floor is hard to sleep on. In addition, Tokyo is much like New York City; one has to take a deep breath before stepping out the door, there is so much to take in, its overwhelming. In addition, it takes a while to figure out my daily itinerary where I have to figure out where I am going and what trains I will need to take, etc. etc.

Today I went back to Roppongi to sort some things out at International House; I got my bank card so hopefully I will be able to withdraw money all by myself. Then Chris took me to meet Professor Nagatoshi Onishi, who teaches urushi at Tokyo National University of Fine Art. It felt so good to be back on a college art campus; there were many people working; there are 30 students in the urushi class alone. It's pretty exciting and I am thrilled to be the student again. Onishi Sensei seems to be a very nice man, very friendly and kind. I think it is really nice of him to take me on with his other students and be able to give me lessons on the side. I will be meeting between 2-3 times a week for three months, for a tuition of ¥20,000 a month. A very reasonable price, I think.

I have no real expectations, I just want to start from scratch with no preconceived notions. It will be fun to be the student for a change.

The cool thing is that it SNOWED today!! It was so cool, the snow just started coming down slowly, very wet and light, very pretty. I was thrilled to pieces.

After meeting with Professor Onishi, I went to Tokyu Hands, sort of like a Whole Earth Access store, a combination of Home Depot, Cousins, and Crate and Barrel. 7 floors of all kinds of stuff - to give you an idea, I bought a memo book, letter opener, receipt holder, towels, shoe polish, a bulletin board with pins, and safety pins.

Tonite I cooked a pretty decent tasting meal, just plain old oka-zu but it tasted just right, with the kim chee and ochazuke. Could it be because it tastes better in Japan??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home